Grievance Procedure

Students who wish to process a grievance or perceive that their rights may have been denied may seek assistance through the Ombudsman’s Office.

Many issues can be resolved through discussion with the appropriate instructor or staff member, and students are encouraged to make contact at the first indication of a problem or concern. If this fails to yield adequate resolution, students may submit their complaints verbally or in writing to the appropriate departmental supervisor. In the event that these steps do not yield a satisfactory resolution, students may file a written appeal with the campus Appeals Board through the Ombudsman’s Office or with the Vice President of Student Affairs/Director of Student Affairs. Students wishing to meet with the campus Ombudsman should contact the Office of the Ombudsman to schedule an appointment.

Note: See Student Handbook for Ombudsman contact information.

As most issues are resolved through our University’s Internal Grievance process, students are encouraged to contact the Office of the Ombudsman (OOO). The OOO acts as a liaison between the student and the University departments where communication is not yielding resolution. The OOO also provides students with information and available options to reach resolution. Branch campus students should visit their campus Ombudsman should a situation arise. Online students may contact the Ombudsman’s Office at 1-877-221-5800 option 6 should a situation arise.

If a student has not reached a resolution with the University, he/she may file a complaint with their state of residence. Please see below for more information.

Alabama students may contact the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

Arkansas students may contact the Arkansas Department of Higher Education

Attention: ICAC Coordinator

114 East Capitol

Little Rock, AR 72201

(501) 371-2050

Georgia Students may contact the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220

Tucker, GA 30084-5305


Illinois students may contact the Illinois Board of Higher Education at or by mail at:

431 East Adams,

2nd Floor

Springfield, Illinois 62701-1404

Kansas students may contact the Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson, Suite 520

Topeka, KS 66612-1368

(785) 296-4917

Minnesota students may contact the Minnesota Office of

Higher Education

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350

St. Paul, MN 55108-5277

Texas students attending AIU Houston may contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Office of General Counsel

P.O. Box 12788

Austin, TX 78711-2788

Or via email at

THECB student complaint information is codified under 19 TAC §§1.110-1.120. An overview of the complaint procedure, how to submit a complaint, and the complaint form can be found at under Communications and Policy>Student Complaints.

Wisconsin students may contact the Educational Approval Board

201 West Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor

Madison WI, 53708

(608) 266-1996